Automation and Controls Engineering Design Specialist – Hollidaysburg, PA
Develop electrical/mechanical control system solutions based on engineering principles.
- Develop control philosophy and program logic for electrical systems that include the use of PLCs and HMIs.
- Create, review and check all types of project related electrical drawings (one line diagrams, process and instrumentation diagrams, electrical equipment location drawings, plan drawings, detail drawing, schematics, wiring/connection diagrams, etc.) for compliance with all McLanahan standards, client specifications and national codes.
- Perform system calculations and studies for single-phase and three-phase electrical power systems, including load flow, voltage drop, power factors, motor starting, etc.
- Ensure all relevant safety objectives and legal requirements are observed for all work completed.
- Identify customer requirement through the review of requisitions, design specifications, technical drawing, etc..
- Research suitable solutions to customer requirements, estimate costs and timescales, and assist with proposal preparation and completion of any technical data sheets.
- Resolve problems related to projects and products to minimize delays or unexpected cost increases.
- Interpret client requirements, identify and address design parameters and engineering problems and ensure solutions are implemented accurately and within budget.
- Create models and/or prototypes of products and systems using three-dimensional design software.
- Review and check vendor technical submittals for compliance with all McLanahan standards and client specifications.
- Participate in engineering and general design reviews as required.
- Coordinate with internal groups including purchasing, quality, sales, accounting, and project management.
- Liaise with client and/or third party Engineering Procurement & Construction (EPC) contractor concerning proposals ongoing projects or existing designs. This function may include attending meetings at the client’s or EPC contractor’s site.
- Perform liaison function between Engineering and all manufacturing operations for any related issues, problems or improvements.
- Develop test requirements and assist with the electrical equipment check at a start-up.
- Keep supervisor advised of work status, workload, problems, progress related to assignments.
- Oversee fabrication, assembly and be available for questions from shop floor regarding prints and other specifications called out on both mechanical and electrical drawings.
- Travel to job sites, including internationally, as required to assist with the installation, operation, maintenance, trouble-shooting, and repair of equipment, including electrical, mechanical and hydraulics systems..
- Bachelor of Science degree in an engineering or scientific discipline, BSEE or BSEET is preferred
- Five years of experience with the advanced knowledge in electrical engineering, obtainable usually through a combination of experience and continuing education
- Familiar with AutoCAD, AutoCAD Electrical and /or AutoDesk Inventor Routed Systems
- Familiar with both single and three-phase power systems and load calculation
- Familiarity and hands on experience with 3-phase motor starters and controls. Experience with Variable Frequency Drives (VFD’s) is preferred
- Familiarity and hands on experience with Allen Bradley PLCs. Programming experience using RSLOGIX 5000 is preferred.
- Knowledgeable in the National Fire Protection Association/National Electric Code (NFPA/NEC).
- Computer literate including MS Office applications
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
Qualified candidates should send a resume and salary expectations to:firstname.lastname@example.org
McLanahan Corporation is an equal opportunity employer